Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Interview with Vh1's Viva Hollywood Winner: Berto Colon



Interview with Berto Colon: Vh1’s first-ever recipient of a Telenovela contract.

We chose to interview Berto Colon for many reasons. The first, is that Berto is a Fordham Alumnus and it is very important for us to tap into that unused resource of people who were educated at our same institution and now are out in the ‘real world’ working on their careers. Secondly, watching the show Viva Hollywood we began to notice random and diverse groups of students discussing the show on campus. Students’ discussions gave us the feeling that Vh1 and the producers of the show portrayed Telenovelas in an awkward way. We wanted to set the record straight. Which is our next reason: Telenovelas play an integral role in the Latino culture. The late afternoon gathering around Telemundo or Univision to have dinner and try to figure out ‘what is going to happen next’ in the given novela is something that can be seen in households across America and their Latino counterpart to the south.


Let’s say you had an index card in your back pocket with your bio on it. Pull it out…what does it read?



“Born and raised in Ponce, Puerto Rico. Most recently he won VH1’s series VIVA HOLLYWOOD, and was awarded a career-making role in an upcoming Telemundo Telenovela early Fall 2008. Film credits include FIGHTING, CAPERS and DOORMAN. TV credits include guest star roles in AS THE WORLD TURNS and ALL MY CHILDREN, and this fall, the new NBC episodic TV series KINGS. Theater credits include PHASIS II’s adaptation of CAMILLE by Alexander Dumas, Jorge C. Perez’s CROSSING CURRENTS, IMMINENT INDEED… at the 2006 NYC Fringe Festival and Aisling Arts’ original trilogy production of FORCE where he took on two separate roles. He attended Fordham University on an athletic scholarship but after injuries, his passion for acting began to take center stage. He studied acting with Anthony Abeson and Robert Patterson; dance at Martha Graham Studio; Alexander technique with Tom Vasiliades; and Speech with Donna Germaine and Suzanne Cameron. He would like thank God for all the blessings, and express his gratitude to his family, Lara, and their new baby girl Sofia, for their unwavering support and inspiration.”



How difficult, if at all, would you say it has been to get into the industry being Latino? That is, not playing the stereotypes.


I try not to focus too much on how difficult it is BECAUSE I AM LATINO. I see how difficult it is period, and then I focus on what I need to do. As an actor you do your job; be it a stereotype or not, a role is a role. It’s too early in my career to worry about stereotypes. When you build a body of work and you keep your dignity in the process, you can be a little more selective with what you do, that being said I try to pick work that is constructive, beneficial to me, and challenging. I do have standards.



What would you say is the most common misconception of aspiring actors?


There are many misconceptions about the craft, I am still learning and I don't feel I can speak on this issue like a master teacher or a veteran actor. I would say that for me it was crucial to get out of my head and be less self-involved and concerned with image if I was going become a real actor. I also have learned the importance of speech and movement in all forms of acting.



This year you became the 1st winner of Vh1’s Viva Hollywood by battling-it-out against other aspiring actors through different challenges involving the “seven deadly sins of Telenovela.” You were awarded a Telenovela contract. What was that experience like?


The experience was completely amazing on so many different levels! It was very difficult and very challenging to have to work under so much pressure with very little time to prepare. I grew as an actor because I pushed my limits so the only thing you can do is grow, and trust your instincts completely. It was like being on a major motion set and I feel completely prepared to step onto any set and be efficient in that environment.


I read somewhere that you bashed the producers/editors of Viva Hollywood, what was that about?



I never bashed the producers; in fact, I have a very good relationship with all parties involved with that production. It was my first interview and I was asked about twenty different questions about the show. Of course, I had my likes and dislikes about the process so one or two of those questions dealt with what I didn't like about the show. The editors chose the content not me; and since all they are about is selling, they felt COMPELLED to shock and mislead a little. I don't regret anything I said because I always tell the truth, besides I learned my first big lesson about interviews.



Some would say that Telenovela acting is “overdramatic or melodramatic,” and therefore should be taken less seriously. What are your thoughts about this?



Telenovela acting like anything else is a STYLE. Some actors may overcompensate for whatever reasons or perhaps at time the writing can be very OVER-dramatic. But Telenovelas, especially the good ones, can be very romantic and passionate!! They are incredibly visceral too because they deal with difficult human content, it is very challenging to be an affective actor, by that I mean believable. What greater challenge is there for a real actor?



So let’s get personal, what do you do when you’re not working on your craft?



I love to surf, skate, workout, travel and spend time with my dog. In general I have to stay very active or I go crazy! Needless to say I spend a lot of time with my family too. I recently started doing a lot of Yoga and have reconnected with myself and my environment. Also, spiritually, I feel very much in tuned lately!



You recently became a father to a beautiful baby girl. As a father you are now a role model. As an actor being in the public eye you are also a role model. What’s that like? What would you say makes you a role model?



If people find that my actions as an artist and as a human being can be something that they are inspired to follow or simply respect, then I am honored. But I don't choose to be a role model for people in the public eye. That being said, being a father has completely flipped my world around in the sense that there is in fact someone who I ABSOLUTELY have to lead or guide with everything that I am. That is my sole purpose in my personal life. What I do in my career is also very important but there is a distinction and as a father I have to make sure that my child is brought to that understanding when the time is right.



Where can readers learn more about you?



I am working on a professional webpage which should be up in the coming months, as well as MySpace, Facebook and IMDB. (www.myspace.com/bertocolon)



What can we catch you in next?

I have been very lucky lately and have landed roles in “One life to Live,” “As the World Turns,” and “All My Children” as well as three upcoming features; "Doorman," "Capers," and "Fighting." I am currently working on neutralizing my Spanish accent so that I can have a more significant role in an upcoming Telenovela, which is still to be determined. All the info, for the most part, will be available online.

What would you say is your most embarrassing moment?

I have too many to count, but I once fell flat on my ass in between classes at Fordham in front of McGinley and Eddie's Parade on a patch of ice. I was all dressed up because back in those days I thought I was a "papi chulo" and I had all this gear from Banana Republic. It humbled me!

Is there anything you’d like to say to readers from your alma mater? Perhaps advice?

Fordham is a good school, take full advantage of the resources available because when you get out it is going to be a great foundation to build your life from. Learn to be a well rounded individual and connect with as many people as possible while you are there. Build relationships, because that is what it is all about regardless of your field.

No comments: