Tuesday, September 2, 2008

World Youth Day Interview, Stephen M Hill, FCRH 2010


World Youth Day Interview, Stephen M Hill, FCRH 2010
By: Laura Veras

Dímelo recently sat down with Stephen Hill, Fordham College at Rose Hill 2010, to discuss his experiences at World Youth Day 2008. World Youth Day (WYD) is a gathering of Catholic youth from around the world, called together to celebrate, live, and preach the Gospel values.

1.What motivated you to attend WYD?

To be honest, I thought WYD would be an interesting way for me to go back to Australia. It provided me a reason to travel 'Down Under.' However, as the group formed and grew spiritually, my motivations shifted. I began to realize that this pilgrimage to Sydney would be a very important growing period in my Christian discipleship.

2.How did your family/friends respond when they found out you were going to make this pilgrimage?

There wasn't any outright hostility, nor was there any extreme enthusiasm. I found it difficult to explain the purpose of this pilgrimage and what exactly we would be doing while in Australia. I think there was a lot of confusion among my family members, and the trip was viewed in practical terms rather than in its spiritual nature. The under girding of any pilgrimage is the detachment of material comforts and trusting in God more, which got thrown to the wayside in favor of "where are you going, what will you be doing, why should I help you pay for this, etc.?"

3.How did the group prepare for the pilgrimage?

Our group extensively prepared for the pilgrimage, which is the main reason, in my opinion, why it was so fruitful. Our two Jesuit leaders provided weekly reflections on certain spiritual aspects of pilgrimage and other areas to foster reflection. We were advised to keep a spiritual journal to track our reflections and to see where the Spirit was leading us. Also, our group retreat really formed friendships, trust, and enthusiasm and was the jumping-off point for our journey.

4.What did you expect to encounter in Sydney?

Every World Youth Day has a scriptural theme and this year’s was: "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses" (Acts 1:8). This theme struck me when I read it in the Pope's letter preparing the pilgrims, because it providentially corresponded to my current prayer focus of how to be a fully committed Christian disciple. During my preparation for WYD I was praying over the juxtaposition in my life of desiring to give more of myself to Jesus Christ and the reality of being part of a nominally Catholic family. My return to the Church has caused some tension between my family and me. Through my reflection over the weekly themes I realized my life had two sides: the enflamed Catholic while at school, and the 'same old Steve' while at home. At this time one of the Jesuits recommended asking for a specific grace to receive while at WYD. I then asked Christ to grant me the strength, courage, and perseverance in more fully living out my call to be a disciple. There is not enough room here to begin to tell you how my expectations to receive grace from Christ via World Youth Day were met and greatly surpassed. I know when on my death bed, I will look back at World Youth Day as the moment I took up the Lord's invitation to Come and See. WYD will be the turning point when the rest of my life will be the tireless pursuit of following Jesus Christ.



5.Tell us a little bit about Magis….

It was a multinational program run by the Australian Jesuits two weeks before the World Youth Day week of events. The thrust of Magis was participating in "experiments," which is an Ignatian term for experiences. Jesuit novices undergo experiments in works that put them outside of their comfort zone in order to trust more in God. For my half of the group, we teamed up with groups from India and Taiwan and an Aussie leader group and traveled 14 hours north to Brisbane. We set up a community in the Glasshouse Mountain range and hiked, prayed, talked, and ate a lot of food together. The bonds that were formed will be forever in my heart.

6.What were some of your first impressions about Australia?

I can't say I had first impressions, because I had been to Australia several years earlier to visit my Aunt who lives in Sydney. However, every person is captivated by the stunning, and heavenly, beauty of Australia and the down-to-earth people of Australia. It's the best place on earth, hands down.

7.What were your impressions of Pope Benedict XVI?

I love the man! Not only is he a brilliant theologian and has the pulse of our time, but his pastoral sense is unbelievable. I saw him at the Youth Rally in Yonkers last semester and several times at World Youth Day. Each time he drew me closer to Jesus in different ways, but he has no, and desires no, cult of personality. He wants to give us –his sheep: his fruits of prayer, reflection, and knowledge in order for us to manifest Christ to the world. He is an unbelievable man.

8.Did you witness any changes among the group/other pilgrims as your journey progressed?

Our group became like family while on pilgrimage. We had shared the discomfort, the bad food, the Spirit-filled prayer, the people, and experiences and we came together more and more as the days went by. Also, the first couple days we were all reserved in reaching out to fellow pilgrims from places as varied as France, India, Taiwan, Hungary, Germany, Bolivia, Kenya, and [America], but as the trip progressed and the Spirit was moving among us, we made lasting friendships with many brother and sister Christians from around the world.

9.How was Christ present to the WYD pilgrims?

I can only speak for myself, or rather how I experienced Christ at World Youth Day. First, I came to the realization that Jesus’ exhortation to the Apostles at the end of Matthew's Gospel "to go out and make disciples of all nations" had been accomplished. I met people and saw flags from France and England, China and Taiwan, India and Pakistan, Spain and Brazil, Kenya and Madagascar, the United States and Iraq; Different languages, cultures, food, fashion, and songs, but one Creed, one Lord.
Secondly, Christ in the Eucharist was deepened for me while at World Youth Day. Our group hosted an all night adoration chapel for the pilgrims at the school where we were staying. An overnight exposition of the Blessed Sacrament requires at least one person in the chapel at all times, so I volunteered both nights for the 2am-3am shift to experience this powerful time of prayer. One of the nights I stayed beyond my shift and there came a point around 4am where I wanted to go back and crawl in my sleeping bag, but the Eucharist in the golden monstrance on the altar was so attractive I couldn't leave Jesus. I always believed Jesus was present in the Eucharist, but it was in that moment of attraction and desire for Jesus that His presence became real.
Lastly, Christ's presence through His Spirit was extremely powerful throughout the pilgrimage. The people I met, the prayer times, certain lines sticking out in the Pope's homily, and spiritual conversations with my fellow pilgrims all contributed to the Spirit incarnated in many people and events during World Youth Day. The Jesuit mantra "finding God in all things" went from a cliché to a reality.

10.Is there any message you were entrusted to bring back to your community and peers?

Jesus Christ is alive in our world today! There is hope, there is a way to love, there is purpose, and there is truth in a world which denigrates each of these necessary aspects of humanity. Our hope, our love, our purpose, and our truth is Jesus Christ. Please whoever reads this interview, go to Mass and meet Jesus. Do not be afraid to lose yourself for Jesus, He gives to each of us what we truly need to be happy beyond all imagination. Do not be afraid to be a voice proclaiming a different message. Do not be afraid to move outside [of yourself] for others. Do not be afraid to look past money, power, and prestige. Trust in the Lord, and you will arrive victorious. Do Not Be Afraid!

No comments: